** COVID-19 Council Update**
Due to the report of more positive cases of the coronavirus (COVID-19) across the state, the latest Public Health Order issued by the Office of Local Government, has directed Council to close camping areas.
As of the 26th March 2020, all Council camping areas will be closed including;
• Hay Showgrounds
• Sandy Point
Council is taking action to place signage at the entrances to Sandy Point and Showgrounds as per the Public Health Order.
CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) – 25TH MARCH 2020
Dear Hay Community,
Due to the report of more positive cases of the coronavirus (COVID-19) reported in the Murrumbidgee Local Health District yesterday, plus the implementation of further restrictions from the Federal Government last night, Council has taken the following additional actions:
- Close the Library to the general public from 5pm today. Council will still maintain the book delivery service to the community, however the books will be left at the front door of the premises to limit face to face contact. To arrange your book delivery please contact the Library staff on 6993 4492 during business hours.
- Suspended all Community Transport services and group activities such as the Park Luncheon until further notice. The decision has been taken on advice from the Health authorities and the high risk associated with long distance travel and to Council volunteers. Council will still provide Meals on Wheels, Home Maintenance, Social Support and Respite Care services although some of these may be provided a little differently to minimise face to face interaction. If you require assistance or support, please phone the Coordinators on 6993 3222 or 6993 2297.
- Continue to permit camping at Sandy Point Reserve and Showground at this stage. Council is waiting on further advice from the State Government on this matter, as well as is undertaking patrols of the camp-grounds to ensure social distancing protocols are being maintained.
- Written to local Member for Farrer seeking additional, professional, resources at the Centrelink Agency in Hay to meet the needs of the community.
- Had discussions with local Member for Murray and NSW Police regarding action plans for the community in case of an outbreak in the Hay area.
As stated in our media release on Monday 23 March 2020, Hay Shire Council has enacted its Pandemic Subplan and implemented the following actions in the Council workplaces:
(i) Tourism Centre
(ii) Swimming Pool
(iii) Museums under Council control (Bishop’s Lodge, Goal, Dunera)
- Cancellation of all group activities at Council facilities.
- Enforcement of social distancing at Administration Centre, including no visitors to enter beyond the customer service counter unless absolutely necessary
- No travel outside the LGA for meetings/conferences
- Additional cleaning everyday of public areas such as HMSO, Centrelink, public toilets, playgrounds and street furniture
All of Council’s other business operations are proceeding as normal, with work crews being separated
for critical functions and some office staff relocated to other Council buildings.
Again, I ask residents to consider all travel outside our region and to avoid unnecessary travel. The
health and wellbeing of all our residents is paramount.
In addition, we remind residents and businesses to practice hand hygiene and social distance protocols
as stipulated by the Government. Media Statements from MLHD dated 25 March 2020 is attached
for further information on ways to prevent spread of the virus as well as who to contact in the first
instance if you suspect you or a family member maybe feeling symptoms. The Federal Government
update on its coronavirus measures is also attached for your information and reference. As always,
please keep a watch for further updates from Government sites and media releases.
I wish for everyone to please stay safe and again to look out for your mates and family.
NSW Government COVID-19 updates
Federal Department of Health COVID-10 updates
Prime Ministers of Australia Media Centre
Hay Shire Council Media Statement 25-03-2020
Hay Shire Council Media Statement 23-03-2020
Hay Shire Council Media Statement and Information pack 18-03-2020