John Houston Memorial Swimming Pool
Hay is fortunate to have a free pool complex located in Lachlan Street at the John Houston Memorial Olympic Pool, and has three pools for all ages;
Large Olympic 50 metre pool
Medium size pool
Baby wading pool
Officially opened in 1967, after ten years of fund raising and work towards its establishment. Named after John Houston, the President of the Hay Swimming Pool Committee for the whole 11 years the Committee existed.
It is now run by the Hay Shire Council, with FREE ENTRY. There are three pools in total: an Olympic size swimming pool, a "medium" pool, and the toddler’s pool, which is completely under cover.
The pool complex hosts the local school swimming carnivals as well as district carnivals. Private swimming lessons by accredited teachers are also conducted at the pool as well as lessons under the Austswim program. The Hay Amateur Swimming Club also operate out of the Pool complex, with their own meeting room.
The grounds include large lawn areas, both in and outside the pool complex, children’s play equipment, a number of shade structures, and free barbeque upon request to the pool supervisor.
The toilets are also open to the public outside opening hours.
The pool is open from November through to April, please find the hours below:
November and March
Tuesday - 3.00pm - 6.00pm
Other Weekdays - 3.00pm - 7.00pm
Saturday and Sunday - 12.00pm - 7pm
December, January, February
Tuesday - 12.00pm - 6.00pm
Other days - 12.00pm - 7.00pm
3 Morning sessions – January and February ONLY
Monday, Wednesday, Friday - 6.00am - 8.00am
Hay Shire Council has developed a COVID-19 Safety plan and introduced additional hygiene procedures in accordance with the NSW Public Health Order for the John Houston Memorial Swimming Pool. This is to reassure patrons can safely visit the Pool this summer as we all take part in slowing the spread of COVID-19. In addition, Council asks all patrons to comply with the rules and guidelines;
- All patrons are required to sign in at the pool entrance, providing contact details using either QR scanner or paper sign in sheets provided. These records will be kept securely and confidentially and deleted after the minimum 28 days holding.
- You MUST NOT ATTEND if in the past 14 days have been: unwell or had flu like symptoms, been in contact with a known or suspected case of COVID-19, visited a known hotspot, or experienced any sudden loss of smell or taste.
- Pool patrons must remain 1.5 meters apart, young children with a parent or guardian are exempt.
- All patrons are encouraged to minimise their stay to ensure there is plenty of social distancing around the facility and eliminate overcrowding.
- Changeroom use will be limited and restricted to the number of people indicated on signage at the changeroom entrance.
- We encourage all patrons to shower/change at home where possible.
Additional Hygiene and Cleaning:
In accordance with the hygiene and cleaning requirements for COVID-19, pool supervisors will be monitoring patron’s hygiene practices and conducting additional cleaning and sanitising of the pool public space.
- All public spaces, surfaces and objects with be regularly cleaned and sanitised.
- All patrons are encouraged to regularly use the had sanitisers provided around the facility.
- Pool supervisors will monitor and refill the sanitisers as required.
On behalf of council we thank all visitors to the John Houston Memorial Pool for your cooperation and assistance to keep the pool COVID Safe for all to enjoy this summer.
If you wish to hold a birthday party at the swimming pool, please book in with the Pool Supervisor, stating the estimated number of children and how many adults will be supervising.
All bookings and enquires should be made to the Pool supervisor during opening hours on 02 6993 1616.
Council would like to remind all pool users that applications to use the pool for parties, group bookings and swimming instructors must be made minimum 7 days prior to hire. This is to ensure that the application is approved prior to date of hire and includes adequate supervisors, certificates, insurance and COVID requirements are met.
Application for Private use of the John Houston Memorial Swimming Pool
Swim and Survive Program
This program runs in January, with lessons catering for children aged 18 months to 12 years and are delivered by nationally qualified instructors.
Prices for nine lessons are $72 for school aged children and $51 for pre-schoolers.* Subject to Change
For more information phone 13 13 02