Contact Council


Hay Shire Council operates a waste water and sewerage scheme within Hay for sewerage disposal. Residences within the Shire are required to connect to these schemes where they are available. Only residences outside the designated areas are required to provide their own onsite sewerage management system (see below for more information).

Anyone wishing to connect a new service to the sewerage system needs to complete an application form (below) and pay the relevant fees. For more information you can contact the Administration Office during normal business hours.


Onsite Sewerage Management System

Installation of on-site sewage management systems requires approval from Council before installation and payment of relevant fees:

The type of system approved will be determined by the site (soil) conditions and any potential contamination issues. On-site sewage management systems are subject to Council regulations which are designed to protect the public health as well as the environment.

To access an easy guide for septic tank installation and owner maintenance click here.

Grey & Black Water

Hay Shire has a black and grey water dump point for users of a caravan or recreational vehicle (RV) that may not stay in a caravan park. The dump point is located on Dunera Way, past the Hay Showgrounds.

Grey and black water contain a wide variety of pathogens that may pose a significant health hazard for you, those travelling with you and others who will use the dump point facilities after you, as well as the environment. Please ensure your equipment is in good working order and you use the dump point in a correct manner.


Environmental Protection Authority (EPA) Requirements

The wastewater scheme for Hay and South Hay are operated under an Environmental Protection Licence (No. 3520 for Wastewater), issued by EPA NSW.

Council has prepared a pollution incident response management plan for this licence, in accordance with the requirements set out in part 5.7A of the POEO Act:

Licensees are now required to publish monitoring data that has been collected as a result of a licence condition, in accordance with section 66(6) of the POEO Act: